Other Site Management Guidelines
IEEE Enterprise Browser Strategy
IEEE site managers and contributors should refer to the following browser-related guidelines and processes when creating or maintaining IEEE sites. Email the IEEE Browser Team
In keeping with IEEE’s aspiration of delivering a best-in-class user experience by aggressively leveraging technologies, IEEE will utilize a progressive enhancement strategy to support web browsers. The core of this strategy is:
- to ensure IEEE websites can support a basic level of content and functionality when viewed on most available browsers, while;
- taking specific actions to optimize IEEE websites to take advantage of the latest browser capabilities and technologies as they become available and are adopted by users.
IEEE.org Browser Policy And Update Process
The IEEE.org Browser Policy is reviewed and updated (as needed) by IEEE IT, Pub Tech, and the Experience Design on a semi-annual basis to coincide with the enterprise release schedule. Updates to the policy are based on the following data:
- Available browser versions
- Browser usage data for IEEE websites as shown by enterprise web analytics systems
- Browser usage that is approaching or has reached a critical mass of users (e.g., >10%)
- Emerging trends (e.g., a particular browser usage quadrupling over a few months)
- Available industry data on browser adoption
- Browser-related user and customer calls, complaints, and requests
- Vendor support (IEEE will not optimize for browsers after the vendor stops supporting them)
Browser Compliance Requirements For IEEE Websites
- Review site-specific browser usage data and trends.
- Re-certify the site for compliance with pending policy updates (as applicable).
- Update site-specific browser requirements/statements based on data review (as applicable).
All other IEEE-branded site managers should re-certify their sites annually to ensure adherence to the policy.