IEEE Publicity Toolkit
This publicity toolkit contains materials that are designed to help you plan and write a news release and guide you through the approval process. Also included are media relations materials that will help in preparing for an interview with a reporter.
Have a question? Contact:
News Release/Communications Planning
These materials are designed to help you develop a communications strategy, identify target audiences, and ensure that IEEE news releases contain consistent, aligned messaging.
- News Release Planning Checklist (PDF, 177 KB)
- News Release Review and Approval Process (PDF, 120 KB)
- Other Tools for Telling Your Story
How to Write a News Release
This step-by-step guide includes headlines, copy guidelines and tips on writing good quotes.
- News Release Content Tips (PPT, 4 MB)
News Release Templates
These documents are designed to help ensure that IEEE news releases have a unified format and contain the appropriate key messages. Below are a sampling of templates from some of the most common news release types, which can serve as a guide for your communications.
- General IEEE news release template
- News Release Example During the Pandemic (DOC, 25 KB)
- Awards (DOC, 20 KB)
- Call for Conference Papers (DOC, 20 KB)
- Conference Announcement (DOC, 20 KB)
- Partnership (DOC, 38 KB)
- White Paper Availability (DOC, 20 KB)
Other news release examples can be found in the IEEE Newsroom
Media Relations Materials
This section provides guidance on how to prepare for a media interview, and tips on creating a media alert for inviting media to an event.
- IEEE Key Messaging (PDF, 60 KB)
- Media Training 101 Tips (PDF, 165 KB)
- Media Training Tutorial (PPT, 66 KB)
- Media Alert Tips (PDF, 120 KB)
Social Media Best Practices
Social Media and Public Relations: COVID-19 (PDF, 1 MB) Please note: This document is intended for IEEE staff and volunteers only. Sign-in required.